Sunday 2 May 2010

Washington DC

In the evening our driver very kindly gave us a quick tour of DC and we had a couple of opportunities to hop out and take photos of the White House and the Lincoln Memorial.



This dude is the American equivalent of Brian Hawes in the UK and is permanently there to protest at the Afghan War. If the war hadn't taken place he'd probably be there protesting about something else; the price of spoons or such like.


A quick hop over the fence and I was able to take this photo.


We played a good wind up with some members asking them to pose all taking photos of the building then with their backs turned walked away and left them there.


This statue is near the White House and I wish I got a better photo than this drive by one taken from the coach. The physicality of the piece is amazing!


This is the Capital Building. Stunning!


From afar I couldn't see the point of this monument but up close I could. It's not as sharp as it looks.


This is the Jefferson Memorial



I was also disappointed to find that the Lincoln Memorial did not have the head of a monkey like in that movie I saw a while back. It's a stunning memorial though.


The view back from the Memorial towards Cleopatra's Needle. I wonder if they've held rowing races on that water as that's what it reminded me of.


I have no idea why I did this. Blame Darren!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Introduction

My fourth club trip to the US with the European Coaster Club saw the trip starting in the Carolinas and ending in Toronto. My original plan ...