Sunday 2 May 2010

Knoebels


Following Hershey we were made aware of a surprise event taking place at Knoebels that we'd been invited to. The Phoenix coaster is having its 25th birthday this year and to celebrate the park had laid on a party for the ride staff, and we'd been asked to join them.

This gave the ERS an amazing atmosphere as the people who were on the ride were the hardcore fans keen to reride and let loose. The coaster was absolutely flying due in part to it running all day and having been rained on. I did manage one of the infamous third row rides and it launched me so far out of my seat that I was almost standing. The event instantly became one of my all time best coaster riding experiences. Too hard to really justify in words nor photos as I didn't take any, I was too busy having fun.


I did get some picture prior to the event though. This is one of a few travelling old style music machines that was in the park. A small gathering of enthusiasts of this stuff were having their convention in the park.


A nice gesture from another park to the family who'd lost a member last year.

The following morning we returned back to the park and having been here before, the pressure was off. I could just enjoy the park for what it had to offer.







The day started with an ERS on Twister. I wasn't a fan of this coaster on the last trip and the same was true now. I rode it once and then decided to sit the ERS out. It's too twisty and a bit too much on my head for me to enjoy it. I used the time instead to have a play with the camera, photographing those who could ride it more than once. This ride is great for photos.



Following that we ran over to Kosmo's Kurves, the new replacement to the High Speed Thrill Coaster that was recently removed. Although just a Miler kiddy coaster, this had been custom built and offered some silly and violent airtime hills towards the end. The small trains, admittedly not designed for adults, bashed us about too much too. So it's definitely a one-time box ticking credit.


The rest of the day was just chilling and enjoying the selection of old rides. They're not my thing but I still gave some of them a go. My favourite was perhaps the dive bomber.


Phoenix, still not so easy to photograph with it buried in amongst all the trees.


When is being fat not being fat? When you can squeeze through tiny gaps between bench slats like this lady can.


The progression of in-car stereo moves to out-of-car stereo. For a park with a strong focus on history it's nice to see them shaping the future too!


No, lady! Buying all the balloons and carrying them will not make you lighter. It worked on Up, it won't work on you.


I'm lost for words. He was the biggest person on the trip, and just a kid. Sad :(


Can we go to candy mountain, can we? Can we? Can we?






Knoebel is one of those parks where small touches are often overlooked and every time you visit you discover new things.


Yay, I got a decent picture of the Phoenix not taken in the station.


The Flying Turns project is now several years behind schedule (in fact it was being built on the last visit here and that was 4 years ago) . It's looking really good but it must be a real thorn in the Knoebel's family's paw. They are putting a brave face on things saying they've learnt so much from this project. I wonder if they knew at the start what they knew now whether they would have gone ahead with it. You have to admire their dedication though.



One of the remaining challenges they face is that the wooden structure has become home to coaster-enthusiasts who seem content on walking around the structure wondering what it would be like to ride it.


Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! Chicane


Flying Turns isn't yet complete and the park is already starting on the next project. Black Diamond is a part-coaster/part dark-ride set within a 3-storey building. It's expected to be open by next year. It makes you wonder which will open first.


Darren the rebel takes his milkshake on the train in complete disregard to the signs telling him not to.


Yes, Knoebels is a wonderful park but it's not one I'd choose to visit as I'm more into the new stuff, but I do respect what the Knoebel family have done. It's refreshing to see a park be successful because there's a genuine passion for it, rather than the corporate BS. Another reason for not wanting to come back is that nothing would be as good as that night time session on the Phoenix. Those of us who experienced that will have something that will live them for a very long time.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Introduction

My fourth club trip to the US with the European Coaster Club saw the trip starting in the Carolinas and ending in Toronto. My original plan ...